On November 15th, 1889 a fire destroyed the MA Reese store on Cass street. One week later residents of the village organized the citizens Fire Protection Association and immediately purchased five dozen fiber pails pipe pulls letters and one extension ladder extendable to 34 feet and two cisterns Or constructed one at the corner of Cass and main the other at Lake and Main. a windmill was constructed at the Cass and main location to fill the cisterns.
1912 after incorporation as a village the council authorized the purchase of a chemical pump, fire equipment, a fire Bell, two extension ladders and two roof ladders.
In 1925 voters approved the purchase of a 3 tank oberchain chemical equipment to be mounted on A one-ton Ford truck Merle Clair was named Fire Chief.
1931 a fire siren was purchased at the cost of 170. To replace the fire belt the siren sounded six times for a fire in the village and three times for a fire out of town
July 4th 1935 at fire destroyed the edwardsburg lumber company estimated loss $12,000 the fireboard ordered a 1935 Ford with Boise fire apparatus of local sport Indiana at a cost of $3411.10
A joint fire board was formed Sept 1947 with Ontwa, Mason, Jefferson and Milton, they immediately ordered a two-ton fire truck
1947 the village Hall was remodeled to house the fire truck. in 1951 a Ford truck with a 1000-gallon tank and a 1200 gallon per minute pump was purchased in
1956 a Ford truck with a 1000-gallon tank and a front Mount pump was purchased for $15,000
June 1970 the building on the corner of main and Cass was torn down for the new fire station.
August 1973 a new truck was ordered and delivered in 1975 at a cost of $43,000